Recipe – Cherry and Toasted Almond Scones
Makes approx. 8
250 gms plain flour
1 level tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon caster sugar
½ teaspoon salt
50 gms butter
100 gms glace cherries chopped
35 gms flaked almonds
½ teaspoon almond extract
125 mls semi-skimmed milk/yogurt
plus extra for brushing
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together with the caster sugar and salt.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the cherries and most of the almonds, leaving some to top the scones.
- Mix together the milk/yogurt with the almond essence and add to the mixture, binding it together with a fork to make a soft but not soggy mix.
- Turn out on to a floured surface. Knead it briefly to smooth. Pat it out into a round about 1” thick and cut out scones with a 2” cutter.
- Place on the baking tray, brush with milk, press a few almonds into the top of each.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, checking after 15. Cool on a wire rack.
- Enjoy with whatever floats your scone boat (I like ricotta and strawberry jam).